Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's wrong if when I try to open a stata file a written "not Stata format"?

I have Stata files are merged, then I tried to open it with Stata version 12, but could not be opened and written "not Stata format", what should I do?

Thank's

Best Regards

Eva

Did the merging take place using the same version of Stata or was that done using Stata 13?
    ---------------------------------
    Maarten L. Buis
    University of Konstanz
    Department of history and sociology
    box 40
    78457 Konstanz
    Germany
    http://www.maartenbuis.nl
    ---------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Eva Musyarrofah View Post
      I have Stata files are merged, then I tried to open it with Stata version 12, but could not be opened and written "not Stata format", what should I do?

Thank's

Best Regards

Eva
      Eva, if you need to work with Stata 13 files in Stata 12, you need the -use13- command.

Maarten, I agree with you that the merge was probably done with Stata 13 on a different installation, since the merge is done in memory, but Eva is writing that she can't open the file, so the file came from somewhere else.

Best, Sergiy

Comment

Maarten, Sergiy, thank you very much for your suggestions.
        I ha've tried with the command that is recommended for use use13, but says "unrecognized command".

I am trying to transfer my files to a previous version of Stata. I tried using Stata version 11 transfers, but the file can not be opened written "not a Stata file". I tried again with the transfer Stata version 12, thank god the file unreadable but when I try to transfer a written "input and otput spesifications files are identical".
        I am confused what should I do?

Comment

What software & the version do you use to merge them?
          -Jazman Ihsanuddin-

Department of Economics
          University of Indonesia

Comment

http://radyakin.org/transfer/use13/use13.htm Follow the instructions here to get and use use13.
            -------------------------------------------
            Richard Williams, Notre Dame Dept of Sociology
            Stata Version: 17.0 MP (2 processor)

EMAIL: [email protected]
            WWW: https://www3.nd.edu/~rwilliam

Comment

I do not know the software and version used to combine them because I've got it in the form of the merged file. Whether it will affect the files could or could not be opened?

Comment

Thank you so much for the advice, sir. yesterday, I've never tried but have not succeeded. I'll try again, hopefully.

Comment

You still need the unofficial use13 command. To install it on your computer:
                  Code:
                  ssc install use13
                  help use13

Comment

Originally posted by Svend Juul View Post
                    You still need the unofficial use13 command. To install it on your computer:
                    Code:
                    ssc install use13
                    help use13
                    My computer should be connected to the internet when I use that command?

Comment

Originally posted by Sergiy Radyakin View Post

Eva, if you need to work with Stata 13 files in Stata 12, you need the -use13- command.

Maarten, I agree with you that the merge was probably done with Stata 13 on a different installation, since the merge is done in memory, but Eva is writing that she can't open the file, so the file came from somewhere else.

Best, Sergiy

thank you Sir,, My computer should be connected to the internet when I use that command?

Comment

I could see that you may need to be connected to the internet if (i) you haven't yet installed use13 from the SSC archive: use ssc install use13. (As Svend advises.) Or (ii) the data set that you wish to apply use13 to is located "on the internet". But once you've downloaded the data set to your local computer, you would no longer need the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Eva Musyarrofah View Post

thank you Sir,, My computer should be connected to the internet when I use that command?

Mr. Richard Williams has pointed to the companion site to -use13-, which discusses everything related to this converter. Including installation. Including installation offline or on an isolated computer. Including the link to the page which allows downloading individual files to a disconnected computer. And the whole installation section is only 79 words short!

I do not know the software and version used to combine them because I've got it in the form of the merged file.
                          It's often possible to contact again the person who passed the data to you with questions regarding it. It is really expected in the community. The worst thing can happen, you will not get a response.

I've never tried but have not succeeded.
                          unless something is lost in translation this is well, hm, expected? Chi non risica, non rosica.

Best, Sergiy

Comment

Originally posted by Sergiy Radyakin View Post

Mr. Richard Williams has pointed to the companion site to -use13-, which discusses everything related to this converter. Including installation. Including installation offline or on an isolated computer. Including the link to the page which allows downloading individual files to a disconnected computer. And the whole installation section is only 79 words short!

It's often possible to contact again the person who passed the data to you with questions regarding it. It is really expected in the community. The worst thing can happen, you will not get a response.

unless something is lost in translation this is well, hm, expected? Chi non risica, non rosica.

Best, Sergiy
                            Thank you very much sir, I am glad for all of your help. I'll try it again, maybe I made ​​a mistake..
                            I really hope I can succeed because this is my final project at university

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Jenkins View Post
                              I could see that you may need to be connected to the internet if (i) you haven't yet installed use13 from the SSC archive: use ssc install use13. (As Svend advises.) Or (ii) the data set that you wish to apply use13 to is located "on the internet". But once you've downloaded the data set to your local computer, you would no longer need the internet.

Thank you very much sir, I'll try it again

Comment

Working...
                              X