Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• panel data / exploratory analysis

I need to do some exploratory analysis with some panel data. The cross section is American states (48) and time is years (25). I need to calculate the median and interquartile range for each state. Then store the values of these two measures as two variables (n=48) with each case identified by state. Suggestions? Thanks, RB

egen has median() and iqr() functions.

Code:

help egen
    Please note the strong preference here for full real names.

Comment

Sorry about duplicate posts, Statalist slow to post. I understand egen will produce median and iqr. However, that's only first part of question. How do I then save them as a cross-section rather than a panel? Robert Biggert

Comment

Robert: in addition, have you looked at statsby? You can collect statistics for each bygroup (state), referring to results saved by the relevant command. These can be saved to a new file, and subsequently "manipulated" as you wish.
        By the way, Nick's reference to "the strong preference here for full real names" is a polite (but rather oblique) way of saying "please read the Forum FAQ, and notice how you can re-register so that your registration name is in firstname lastname format (in short, hit the Contact Us link at bottom right of screen and make your request)".

Comment

Also,

Code:
          help collapse

Comment

Working...
          X