No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to translate variable labels and value lables in stata 12

Hiii all,

I am working on a multivariable data set in stata 12. The variables, variable lable and value labes are all in German. I want to translate the the variable labels and value labels to english.
    how can i do that ? can anybody suggets how to write a do-file syntax for that or any kind of pionters is greatly appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Before doing anything else, type

Code:
    label language
    and hope that more than one available language pops up. You can then change the label language to English.

If there is no other language defined, you want to contact the data provider and ask, whether there are do-files available.

If this is no successful, I guess you have a lot of work to do, as there are no translation tools in Stata (aside from converting data formats). Hopefully someone comes up with clever idea. I remember approaches to use google to check for spelling errors, but do not remember any details.

Edit:

Oh, I would like to remind you of reading the FAQs carefully, especially the part about our preference for full real names here on Statalist.

Best
    Daniel

Comment

only default pops up ......can i go anywhere from here Daniel.

Best,
      Tewodros

Comment

Hm, that does not sound to promising. Do you think the data provider has other languages available. As mentioned, that is something I would check out first.

Otherwise I have no clear idea how a translation process could be automated. You may want to save the value labels to an ASCII file (see help label save), try to find translation software that can access them and then "import" them back into Stata. There is no way you can (automatically) do this with Stata alone, that I am aware off.

Best
        Daniel

Comment

You might accelerate Daniel's suggestion by using Roger Newson's program descsave, available from SSC. But I don't have much hope for a fully automated process.
          David Radwin
          Senior Researcher, California Competes
          californiacompetes.org
          Pronouns: He/Him

Comment

Working...
          X