Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I pick measurements three months apart from a semi-irregular time series?

Hi Stataforumers

I have a dataset where measurements were taken at approximately (but slightly irregular) three month intervals with some random measurements in between. The data consists of dates and measurements. How can I pick out the longest series of measurements that are roughly three months apart? If I just picked the first measurement and looked for the next measurement within 2.5-3.5 months (say), the first measurement could be one of the random ones, and I would miss the longest series.

Thankyou

Karin

Some example data might be helpful to help us get a handle on the problem. If you can average your measurements, one thing you could try: collapse your data over 3 month intervals.

Also, I think on a forum like this, judicious use of the word 'random' is a good thing.

Comment

I guess "random" will be understood here as meant informally.

panelthin
      from SSC is dedicated to a similar problem. It does not guarantee the longest series, but it might give you a start. In many cases taking what panelthin suggests but always including the last measurement subject to some criterion might help.

Ultimately if you want something a bit different, you could clone the program and write your own.

Comment

Thanks David and Nick. Of the two suggestions, I think that panelthin fits my needs better. Will explore and tinker with a clone of it. Thanks again, Karin.

Comment

Do please report back at your convenience on what works. This kind of problem seems to arise quite often and solutions could be of wide interest.

Comment

Working...
          X