Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lag Length and Serial Correlation

For the ADF test, monthly data, in some cases lag choices of 12, 8, or 4 give a p-value of less than 0.10, but when inspecting the correlogram the residuals do not behave well. in this case, i went up to jointly test lags 13-16, and got p-value less than 0.10, and got well-behaved white-noise, so i used 16 lags for ADF test- was this the right thing to do?
    I also encounter a similar problem sometimes for the Johansen procedure, with the varsoc, in lectures we do varsoc with max(10) lags, but when reviewing if the residuals are well-behaved-they are not well behaved, even with 9, or 10 lags as recommended by information criteria. therefore, i did varsoc again, with maximum 15 lags, and found that with 13 legs, recommended by information criteria, the residuals are well-behaved in the var estimate.- in cases like these, for ADF and johansen, is this how to approach the problem, to increase lag length until residuals are well-behaved, or should i have done something different?

Without knowing your data it is hard to say more. Did you add deterministic model components? Does your data feature seasonal cycles? In the latter case you might consider a seasonal adjustment procedure.
    https://twitter.com/Kripfganz

Comment

Working...
    X