Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you! Very, very much. All the help is greatly appreciated.

I will try it with the new names. I actually do have 20 variables, but from 10 on, I would need to extract 3 characters for the renaming. Writing 2 loops was my first thought this time.

Again, thank you.
    Regards,
    Laura Cojocaru

Comment

I am on a roll!

Now that I have solved the problem above, I am facing one that likely does not have a solution!

I have q1_1 q1_2 q1_3. Imagine that each of these variables has months as answers. But, say February could show up in either q1_1, q1_2, or q1_3. To explain, people were allowed to pick multiple months as answers to the initial question.

Is there a way I could get the number of occurrences for each answer across the 3 variables? For example, if January was mentioned 3 times in q1_1 and 1 time in q1_2 and 5 times in q1_3, could I somehow have a tabulation across all these 3 variables that would tell me that January was mentioned 9 times? I mean without having to manually add up, or to create countless yes/no variables, one for each possible answer.

Some other questions have longer answers, not just months.

Thank you again! So much.

Regards,
      Laura Cojocaru

Comment

you might want to look at the user-written -mrtab- (use -search- to find it); you might need to re-format your data before using this command

Comment

THANK YOU! This seems to work well so far. It is so great to have this! Amazing!
          Regards,
          Laura Cojocaru

Comment

THANK YOU! This seems to work well so far. It is so great to have this! Amazing!
            Regards,
            Laura Cojocaru

Comment

tabm from tab_chi on SSC also addresses this problem.

Comment

Thank you! I got tabm now too. Both great time savers. I wish I knew them a long time ago.
                In this case, for me, mrtab had a bit of an advantage because it gives the number of valid respondents and calculates the % as well.
                Regards,
                Laura Cojocaru

Comment

Yes; mrtab is more SPSS-like. tabm is just a wrapper for tabulate with no extra bells or whistles.

Comment

Working...
                  X