No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Number of Observation in Quantile Regression

Hi All
    I have a data set that has 147000 observation. When I use qunatile regression using qreg2 from SSC, I get the same number of observation ( i.e. 147000) in each regression of quantile of .2, .4, .6, .8. I am not able to understand this as in my opinion the number of observation in each quantile should be 147000*.2=29400. Your comments will be appreciated. The regression code is
    qreg2 LDTA CR TIDINEW lDCPSF lmkt IND1- IND60 y1- y16, quantile(.2 )
    qreg2 LDTA CR TIDINEW lDCPSF lmkt PROF SZ1 COLAT3 RD LIQ TAX CAPEX IND1- IND60 y1- y16, quantile(.4 )
    qreg2 LDTA CR TIDINEW lDCPSF lmkt PROF SZ1 COLAT3 RD LIQ TAX CAPEX IND1- IND60 y1- y16, quantile(.6 )
    qreg2 LDTA CR TIDINEW lDCPSF lmkt PROF SZ1 COLAT3 RD LIQ TAX CAPEX IND1- IND60 y1- y16, quantile(.8 )
    Regards
    --------------------------------------------------
    Attaullah Shah, PhD.
    Professor of Finance, Institute of Management Sciences Peshawar, Pakistan
    FinTechProfessor.com
    https://asdocx.com
    Check out my asdoc program, which sends outputs to MS Word.
    For more flexibility, consider using asdocx which can send Stata outputs to MS Word, Excel, LaTeX, or HTML.

Not so. The need is to find a quantile by finding a given fraction below and the complementary fraction above, given predictors. (It often needs a lot of information to do that well, especially when, as in your problem, you are using a large number of predictors.)

Consider this similar question: how many observations are used in finding a median in a univariate distribution? Answer: all of them.
    Last edited by Nick Cox; 23 Sep 2014, 12:26.

Comment

Working...
    X