Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frequencie graphs by year with string variables

Hi all. I have imported a spreadsheet from excel, with the following variables: Type of surgery (string) date (date). Since then, I created a new date_var, and filled it with the date, formated as Year. I can use the flexible tables to creste a table that summarizes the type of surgery per year, and have totals for the column and row. What I can't figure out is how to do a bar graph that shows the frequencies of Type of surgery (totals) per Year. Any hints? Will I have to recode the type of surgery, and then use value labels back in the generated numerical variable? There should be something better... Thanks, Andre

Is this what you want?

Code:
    clear
    set obs 100
    gen surgery=char(64+ceil(4*uniform()))
    gen year = 2000+ceil(3*uniform())
    tab2 surgery year

generate one=1
    graph bar (count) one , over(year) over(surgery)

Comment

Also check out -catplot- from SSC.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Cox View Post
        Also check out -catplot- from SSC.
        I find your paper on graphing categorical and compositional data quite useful. Presumably, tabplot (SSC) could also offer some interesting solutions.
        Kind regards,
        Konrad
        Version: Stata/IC 13.1

Comment

Thanks a lot Juul, seems I'm in the right way! Now I have to figure out how to limit to year grouping. What's the purpose of the one var ?
          I'll check the catplot module too!

Comment

I'm not sure if I follow, but you have two over statements so you will get two groupings. Use your comments with one over statement and you will get one grouping.
            Kind regards,
            Konrad
            Version: Stata/IC 13.1

Comment

Konrad, you're a genius! (8-) Your hint worked with catplot...
              Seriously, thanks, I'm a beginner in Stata and I foresee a long way ahead...
              Will read that paper!

Comment

Working...
              X