Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running 64 bit and 32 bit simultaenously

I am having issues accessing Access and other things via the ODBC command using 64 bit stata with 32 bit microsoft applications. Is it possible to have a 32 bit stata and 64 bit stata running concurrently.

If we have a 64bit licence does that automatically give the 32 bit as part of it? or does anyone have good work arounds for these problems.

thanks
    Adrian

Setting aside any licensing issues -- not for me to comment -- the real question is precisely what do you expect here? That the two Statas could talk to each other, like Batman Stata and Robin Stata? That they both have access to the same dataset? (Otherwise what's the point to being simultaneous?)

Sounds dangerous to me, even if it might work.
    Last edited by Nick Cox; 01 Sep 2014, 09:26.

Comment

No its simply a work around. If you run 64 bit stata and 32 bit microsoft you cant read directly from access or other dbase type files.

I simply want to read the data in using 32 bit stata 32 bit microsoft save in native stata, then carry on as per usual.

After a little googling it seems there are issues with having 32 and 64 bit microsoft co-existing. So i was hoping the two different version of stata might coexist and provide a work around.

Comment

Sorry, but I don't think you've made clearer what you mean by "coexist".

Comment

Coexist. I dont believe you can have 32 bit microsoft office on the same system as a 64 bit microsoft office and if you try there are registry conflicts.

its all in a very similar vain to this thread.

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archi.../msg00777.html

But if i can have 32bit and 64 bit Stata running on the same machine without technical issues, this would sort of solve the problem of compatibility between the 32 and 64 bit problem.

Comment

I do not know if it will help but I am running Stata 64 and Office 32 and I can get ODBC connectivity to Access after following this link:

http://blog.codefluententities.com/2...distributable/

The important thing is the line:

AccessDatabaseEngine_X64.exe /passive

when you are installing it.

Martyn

Comment

Thank your Martyn, i will try and get IT to install this hopefully it will fix my problems.

Many thanks
              A

Comment

One can hope that Martyn's suggestion solves the issues. Apart from that, yup, it's technically possible to have 32-bit and 64-bit installed at the same time. Licensing (hope a StatCorp employee steps in) *shouldn't* be a problem. Main thing for licensing is the "flavor" (small, IC, SE, MPx) and # of installs or concurrent users. If you have a single-user license, I think you can do it on up to three computers, so unless you're in an odd situation, even counting two on the same computer is within limits. If it's a campus or network license, then every time you fire up Stata, it should check in with the key server. If you're the 101th user on a 100-seat license, oops, no Stata for you.

Comment

In the process of getting StataCorp's help with a question I posed a few months ago about what (incorrectly) appeared to be a speed problem with MP vs. IC, I was informed by StataCorp its licensing rules permitted me, as an MP2 owner, to simultaneously have installed any lesser versions (IC, SE). I would guess that the same leeway would prevail with respect to 32 vs. 64 bit versions.

Regards, Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Adrian Sayers View Post
                    I simply want to read the data in using 32 bit stata 32 bit microsoft save in native stata, then carry on as per usual.
                    Alternatively you could simply install virtual machine, configure it to be 32 bit environment, do whatever you want in this and then share some folder which you would access in your normal working enviornment. I'm using Parallels for Mac where I have Windows 7 and Ubuntu. It's a drain on system resources but it's a neat solution as you may produce some odd configurations that you will use only periodically without "messing up" your default configuration that you like to work with.
                    Kind regards,
                    Konrad
                    Version: Stata/IC 13.1

Comment

Working...
                    X