Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundex. How to increase from three numbers to six numbers after the first letter

The soundex command in Stata assigns a the first letter of the name in the variable with three numbers.
    For example,

soundex("Ashcraft") = "A226"

I just need to increase the number of three numbers after ''A'' to six numbers.

Does anyone know how to increase it?

Kind wishes,
    Carlos.

Well, in the old days, before soundex() was a normal Stata function, there was an -egen- function soundex(), which, I think, was written by Michael Blasnik. And egen code = soundex(string_var), length(your_choice) enabled you to control the length of the code generated. The default was length 4.

But the old -egen- function is not part of modern Stata, having been replaced by the modern function that is used with -generate-, not -egen-.

I think you can still download the -egen- version, called _gsoundex.ado at http://ideas.repec.org/c/boc/bocode/s420901.html. If so, just download it to C:\ado\plus\_ (or the equivalent place in your Mac or Unix setup) and you can then use the old -egen- version.
    Last edited by Clyde Schechter; 31 Aug 2014, 14:26. Reason: To credit Michael Blasnik for the -egen soundex()- function.

Comment

Dear Clyde,
      It works perfectly,
      Thank you so much for all your help.
      Kind wishes,
      CARLOS

Comment

cpineda_stata it's a bit late, but if you're using Stata 14 there are now some alternative phonetic string encoding options available from a package I just set up for testing/distribution:

Code:
        net inst strutil, from("http://wbuchanan.github.io/StataStringUtilities/")
        It includes all of the phonetic string encoding algorithms (with the exception being the Soundex and Refined Soundex algorithms) implemented in the Apache Commons Codec library. Additionally, there is also a command in the package that provides several different string similarity/distance algorithms from a single interface (e.g., you can estimate several different distance/similarity metrics from a single command issued once instead of having to use several commands for each distance/similarity metric).

Comment

Working...
        X