Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xtmelogit multilevel analysis, all level 1 variable coefficients are exactly the same despite varying level 2 variables

Hi, I've run into this conundrum that I am not sure if it is a mathematical question or it is a Stata question.
    I am using xtmelogit for 2-level, random intercepts models. The models take a long time to run due to same size and the number of the parameters. I ran a base model saved as matrix(a) and used that for subsequent models.

The command I use is

xtmelogit participation i.highested female C_age religious statist_only C_lngdp C_ln_population elf C_religion_pc || newid3:, laplace from(a, skip)

​level 1 variables are individual characteristics, and level 2 variables are country characteristics.
    The level 2 variables of interest (Statist, Corporatist, Statist-Corporatist, Liberal) are all dummy variables. As you can see, the coefficients for all level 2 vary across the models, but the coefficient and standard error for the level 1 variables are exactly the same. I don't know why this is happening. Anyone has any ideas?

​ ​ Click image for larger version

Name:	test.png
Views:	6
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	190353
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Peggy Fan; 28 Aug 2014, 18:32.

Are you 100% sure that
    the coefficient and standard error for the level 1 variables are exactly the same
    . You appear to have shown the result of an estimates table command or some user-written equivalent (but you don't tell us!), and only 3 decimal places are shown for coefficient estimates and SEs. Perhaps there are differences apparent in the 4th or 5th decimal place? In any case, if you have a very large number of level-1 observations, one expects precise results for the statistics associated with the level-1 predictors ... but not necessarily the level-2 predictors (it depends on the level-2 sample size). I would also be very wary of any results based on estimation using the 'Laplace' method. I might use them to derive starting values for a second round of estimation but not for the 'final' results: it is 'well known' that you get better estimates for this sort of model using methods such as adaptive quadrature (the default in Stata).

Whatever, you might be advised to look at: ‘Regression analysis of cross-national differences using multi-level data: a cautionary tale’, Working Paper 2013-14. Colchester: Institute for Social and Economic Research, University of Essex. https://www.iser.essex.ac.uk/publications/working-papers/iser/2013-14. Also IZA Discussion Paper No. 7583, http://ftp.iza.org/dp7583.pdf

Finally, but importantly, please read the Forum FAQ and act accordingly in order to raise the chances of getting helpful responses in future. Do not show ouput using screenshot photos (it's not legible enough). Instead, show your output using CODE delimiters, as advised in Section 12 of the FAQ. It's easy to do! Moreover, you haven't given important information such as the precise number of level-1 observations and level-2 observations (see the FAQ advice about providing relevant information).
    Also, please use your real name (firstname lastname): see the FAQ for the reasons why. It's easy to change from "x_92": hit the Contact Us button at bottom right of screen and make your request.

Comment

Hi,
      Sorry that I've violated several rules on this forum. I'm in the process of changing my username, and I knew the image file wasn't ideal but I could not find where I could post the code correctly, so thank you for pointing me to section 12 of the FAQ.

My level 1 observations are 255,197, level 2 country sample is 89. I understand the inherent problems with a dataset like this and I'm prepared to spell out the limitations of my findings. But the article you've provided is very helpful for my write-up, thank you.

Another question- would you suggest using "laplace" for the first round of estimation (a base model), and use the matrix derived but without "laplace" for the final estimation of the models? I resorted to "laplace" because the estimation of each model was taking hours and I was seeking alternatives that could be more efficient. But any suggestions are welcome as my knowledge of those estimation methods is quite limited.

Comment

Working...
      X