Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graph-Theoretic Scagnostics / Scatterplot Diagnostics for Pattern Recognition in STATA

Dear list,

I have a collection of hundreds of 2d scatterplots. In fact, I don't have actual graphics, but I have hundreds of (x,y) planes. I would like to use graph-theoretic diagnostics to detect abnormalities or patterns within each x,y plane. The method I would like to use was introduced by John and Paul Tukey in the 1990s, who achieve my objective through a small number of measures. Dang and Wilkinson (see http://www.cs.uic.edu/~tdang/file/Ti...NCIjournal.pdf) describe in an excellent fashion on how one can use these so-called "Scagnostics" to explore abnormalities in huge amounts of (x,y) planes. Finally, Wilkinson, Anand, and Grossman [1] provide a detailed description on the idea of graph-theoretic scagnostics. These scagnostics or graph-theoretic measures are exactly what I need.

More specifically, Wilkinson et al. suggest to compute the following measures for each of my (x,y) planes: Outlying, Skewed, Clumpy, Sparse, Striated, Convex, Skinny, Stringy, Monotonic. They describe each of these "scagnostics" in their paper. I would like to compute each and every one of these measures, for hundreds of (x,y) planes. I do not need my result in graphs, rather I need the actual numeric measures (scagnostics).

However, before I try to come up with efficient ways on computing each metric, does anyone know of a user-written program that does what I'm looking for?

Thank you very much for your help.

[1] Wilkinson, Leland, Anushka Anand, and Robert L. Grossman. "Graph-Theoretic Scagnostics." INFOVIS. Vol. 5. 2005.
    Last edited by tommedema; 26 Aug 2014, 18:33.

Is there anything I can do to give this question more attention? It has been over a week now and still no replies

Comment

You just did what you can by "bumping" it to the top of the list (and doing that is fair play).

If your name is "Tom Medema" please re-register as such. Some people give less attention to posts that don't (apparently) show full real names.

I didn't answer it because I didn't know of any such programs. It seems no-one else does either. See also http://www.statalist.org/forums/help Section 17. And keep on with Section 18.

Note there is absolutely no rule that a question must be answered by somebody.
      Last edited by Nick Cox; 04 Sep 2014, 01:39.

Comment

Working...
      X