No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modeling rates using quantile regression: sqreg vs. lqreg

Hello dear forum members,

The main objective of my research is to determine which psychological factors (45 in total) significantly affect cancer-related outcome. The outcome is a rate ranging between 21 and 604.9. In order to be able to understand whether the determinants of the outcome change at different levels of the dependent variable (and also at the extreme values), I am using quantile regression.

My data consists of almost 3000 observations (at the county-level) collected in 2013 and 2014. Although I am aware of recent developments in quantile regression with fixed effects (e.g., -qregpd- or -xtqreg-), I agree with Joao Santos Silva's opinion that "there is very little information on the performance of these estimators, and I would say that at the moment there is no established method to address this problem" (https://www.statalist.org/forums/for...and-panel-data). Therefore, I turn to the "standard" estimation approach using:

Code:
    sqreg y x1-x45, reps(500) q(.01 .05 .10 .25 .50 .75 .90 .95 .99)
    Next, I use -test- to test for the differences in the estimated coefficients of the significant regressors.

Recently, however, I came across the following paper de Luca, F., & Boccuzzo, G. (2014). What do healthcare workers know about sudden infant death syndrome?: the results of the Italian campaign ‘GenitoriPiù’. Journal of the Royal Statistical Society: Series A (Statistics in Society), 177(1), 63-82. Interestingly, rather than using an index with bounds (outcome) that may vary depending on the data, they consider an index varying between 0 an 1 for ease of interpretation of its values and of the results. As such, they use quantile regression for bounded outcomes as implemented in -lqreg-. Assuming this approach might also be appropriate for my case with rate, I also tried it using:

Code:
    generate y_bound = (y-21)/(604.9-21)
    lqreg y_bound x1-x45, quantiles(01 05 10 25 50 75 90 95 99) seed(123) cluster(id)
    Overall, I observe relatively high consistency of the estimates obtained using -sqreg- and -lqreg- (with minor differences).

My questions: (1) Are both of these approaches appropriate for modeling rate? (2) Does the -lqreg- approach have any advantages over -sqreg- in my case? (3) What is the correct interpretation of the estimates in case of -lqreg-?

Thankfully,
    Anton
    Last edited by Anton Ivanov; 15 Jul 2017, 11:57. Reason: quantile regression, panel data, rate

Dear forum members,

I would be glad to provide you with any additional information on my research, in case it is needed to answer my questions. This is a new area of my explorations and I am seeking your help.

Sincerely,
    Anton

Comment

Dear Anton,

The two commands estimate models with different functional forms: sqreg estimates linear models and lqreg estimates logistic quantiles. Which one is more appropriate is an empirical issue but if you say that the differences are minor maybe you can stick to the traditional linear model because it is easier to interpret.

Best wishes,

Joao

Comment

Dear Joao,

Thank you for your reply. I would then indeed stick to the traditional linear model and may be provide a note that I checked robustness of the estimates using an "alternative" approach.

Anton

Comment

Working...
        X