No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weights width stacked bar graph

Hi,
    I am trying to figure out whether it is possible to reflect the weights of the categories of a categorical variable in a stacked graph bar in the x-axis. On the x-axis, the variable is categorised in 10 units intervals (hours). The y-axis compares overtime and hours in 2nd job against the basic hours (x-axis). The code I used to plot the graph is attached.

graph bar (mean) avg_overtimehrs ///
    (mean) avg_2ndjobhrs, ///
    over(basichrs_10bin, label(angle(vertical) labsize(small))) ///
    stack ytitle(Avg. Overtime & hours 2nd job) ///
    ytitle(, size(small) margin(medsmall)) ///
    ylabel(0(5)32, labsize(small) angle(horizontal) valuelabel) ///
    ymtick(0(1)32, labsize(small)) ///
    legend(order(1 "Overtime hours" 2 "2nd job hours") ///
    rows(2) size(medsmall) color(black) nobox region(fcolor(none) lcolor(none))) ///
    scheme(s1mono) ///
    graphregion(fcolor(none) lcolor(none) ifcolor(none) ilcolor(none)) ///
    plotregion(fcolor(none) lcolor(black) ifcolor(none) ilcolor(none))

Thanks
    Alberto

It is difficult to visualize the graph based on the command alone. From your description I imagine that spineplot might be useful. See http://www.stata-journal.com/article...article=gr0031.

Comment

Thanks Friedrich. I attach the original graph. The thing is on categories (last 2 on the right), sample size is very small. So I wondered whether there is any way to weight those variables and plot in the graph. I assumed there must be a way to weight the categories in the x-axis and reflect those proportions in the width.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 12.49.33.png
Views:	1
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1385913

Comment

graph bar supports weights, as is documented

Comment

Thanks Nick, I think the weights supported in the documentation are for survey weights. In my case, I want to weight the x-axis by frequency proportions (percentages) in X and Y-variables.

Comment

There is no need for speculation or uncertainty here: The help http://www.stata.com/help.cgi?graph_bar documents that a f and pweights are all supported. What else are you using guidance if not the help?

Comment

Alberto wants to change the width of the bars so that they indicate the number of observations in each group. graph bar [weight] is not the solution for this problem because it only affects the height of the bar segments.

Options for drawing bars of different width include spineplot (see post #2) or twoway bar. For the latter, see this Statalist discussion.

Comment

Thanks Nick and Friedrich, I think spineplot helps for my purpose.

Comment

Working...
                X