No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding Sub-samples Based on OLS Results

Dear STATALIST,

I have an OLS regression of household's pollution on household's income and other characteristics (cross-sectional data). I want to find two sub-samples for which the coefficients of income are significantly different. How can I do this in STATA?

PS: Doing the regression with dummies for income brackets doesn't help because I want the income OLS coefficients to be different between groups not the income levels.

Thanks,

If you can further clarify this
    the coefficients of income are significantly different.
    . Also, an example data set will help
    Regards
    --------------------------------------------------
    Attaullah Shah, PhD.
    Professor of Finance, Institute of Management Sciences Peshawar, Pakistan
    FinTechProfessor.com
    https://asdocx.com
    Check out my asdoc program, which sends outputs to MS Word.
    For more flexibility, consider using asdocx which can send Stata outputs to MS Word, Excel, LaTeX, or HTML.

Comment

My equation is :Pollution=a+b Income + c (Other Characteristics) +residual
      By income coefficients I mean two sub-samples that their coefficient b are significantly different than each other. How can I find these two groups?

Comment

Still your question is not clear. You want to estimate many regressions and then collect their coefficients, make two groups based on the coefficient values. The question is , what is your grouping variable in the first place that you shall use as a if qualifier for running different regressions. I would like to remind you to post a sample of your data using dataex (from SSC) if you want more helpful replies.
        Regards
        Attaullah Shah, PhD.
        FinTechProfessor.com
        For more flexibility, consider using asdocx which can send Stata outputs to MS Word, Excel, LaTeX, or HTML.

Comment

There aren't many regressions. There is just one regression. And there is no grouping variable. I want STATA to find groups in my data for which the effect of income on pollution are different than each other. I will post data ASAP, but suppose data is simply a cross-section of pollution levels of 120000 households with their income levels and other characteristics.

Comment

I think you are looking for some threshold of income from where the effects start changing for pollution. If so , then type
            Code:
            findit threshold
            in the Stata command window and you will find many helpful resources.
            Regards
            Attaullah Shah, PhD.
            FinTechProfessor.com

Comment

Regarding
              Originally posted by Attaullah Shah View Post
              I think you are looking for some threshold of income from where the effects start changing for pollution.
              : No, I am not looking for an income threshold. As I mentioned in my initial post this could be done by income bracket dummies and interaction of income levels with those dummies to see how b changes between income brackets.

I want the two groups to be different just in terms of their b coefficients. This is the only condition that I want to impose initially. Then, after I find these two groups, I am going to investigate the income levels and other characteristics of households in each group. Ideally, I want to have two groups which b coefficients are different but have the similar income distribution: both groups to have sufficient number of both low-income and high-income people.
              Hossein
              Last edited by Hossein Hosseini; 02 Apr 2017, 13:56.

Comment

Working...
              X