Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probit/Logit with Panel Data. Should I use probit or xtprobit?

Hi everyone,

I am using STATA 14 to work with a panel data set of the United States from 2007 to 2015. I want to estimate a discrete choice model but I am not sure whether I should use:

probit dep indep ..., vce (cluster stateid)

or:

xtprobit dep indep ..., pa vce(robust)

I am concerned about serial correlation in my data which is why I am shying away from using a Logit model with fixed effects and using vce(bootstrap) doesn't seem to work:

xtlogit dep indep ..., fe vce(bootstrap)

Essentially, my question is what estimation method to use. Both probit and xtprobit give very different results. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

If you have panel data, you need to use panel-data models. Your observations are not independent, and -probit- does not account for that. -xtprobit- (or -xtlogit-) does. If after running -xtprobit- you find that rho (at the very end of the output table) is very close to zero, then it would be acceptable to say that the extent of intra-panel correlation is small enough to ignore and if there is some other advantage to using -probit-, you could then use -probit- (and would get nearly identical results). But otherwise, it is wrong to use a one-level model such as -probit- on panel data.

Added: What do you mean by "I am concerned about serial correlation in my data which is why I am shying away from using a Logit model with fixed effects and using vce(bootstrap) doesn't seem to work:" -xtlogit, fe- definitely allows the -vce(bootstrap)- option. If you aren't able to run it, you may be doing something wrong or there may be a problem with your data. Without knowing exactly the full command you tried and seeing the exact output you got, it is impossible to advise more specifically.
    Last edited by Clyde Schechter; 28 Feb 2017, 12:15.

Comment

Nick:
      as an aside to Clyde's superb advice, you're seemingly dealing with a large N, small T panel dataset; hence, autocorrelation is probably a minor concern.
      Kind regards,
      Carlo
      (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Working...
      X