Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wishlist for Stata 15

It would be very useful to me if I could use the log command to output also in pdf directly such as when I do a graph but for all the output. I typically print in text and take that file (with some font corrections, etc) and save it as a pdf file. It would be nice that one could do that directly by something like...
    log using "blahblah_V4.log", replace pdf name(log2)
    Last edited by Violeta Carrion; 21 Feb 2017, 14:23.

I typically print in text and take that file (with some font corrections, etc) and save it as a pdf file.
    I'm not really sure what process you're describing here. But, I often save my log files as PDF's when I plan to share them with non-Stata users who can't open them in .smcl. It's actually quite easy. At the end of the do file, my last three commands are:

Code:
    log close
    translate logfile_name.smcl logfile_name.pdf, lmargin(0.5) rmargin(0.5) replace
    exit
    This way a nice PDF of the log file is automatically generated when the do-file runs.

The narrow margin specifications are needed to override the default pdf margins that Stata uses if there is wide content in the log. For example, regression outputs typically are too wide to fit within the default margins. But if you're just outputting -summ- and -tabstat- and things like that, the default margins work fine.

Comment

Umm. I did not know that. I only use text. I actually dislike smcl but I see how your code works. I will use your suggestion. Regarding my comment, in creating a log file I can choose to make the output text, smcl and was suggesting to add pdf .

Comment

Violeta (?): Please note the request for full real names here.

A text log translated to .pdf could, as I understand it, only be a text log made into a .pdf file. It would inevitably look pretty much the same as it does already.

Comment

Working...
        X