Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MVSUMM rolling medians

I am trying to calculate rolling medians of stock returns every 3 days but i don't know how to use the mvsumm function. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mvsumm is a command, not a function, and it can be installed from SSC. (Posters are asked to explain the provenance of user-written programs they refer to: see FAQ Advice #12.)

I don't know what is proving difficult here as use of the median is a documented possibility.

I would typically use tsegen now, also from SSC, which differs slightly in by default using the data to the maximum extent possible.

Compare e.g.

Code:
    webuse grunfeld

mvsumm invest, stat(median) win(3) gen(inv3ymed) 

tsegen inv3ymed2 = rowmedian(L(-1/1).invest)

Comment

Thank for the response nick! Using the above code is giving me "variable date_5_min not found" error. I have no idea why STATA is referring to a variable called "date_5_min" as i have not mentioned it anywhere in the code

Comment

Sorry, but there is nothing reproducible here in #3. You need to show any problem with the exact code you are using and a reproducible data example.

Do swing by

http://www.statalist.org/forums/help#stata (crucial)

and

http://www.statalist.org/forums/help#spelling (incidental).

Comment

Sorry for not being clear earlier. I have a variable in my data called stock returns and in an attempt to generate a new variable "ret3med" which would show the rolling median of the past three returns, i used the following code:

mvsumm returns , stat(median) win(3) gen(ret3ymed)

This is giving me "variable date_5_min not found" error

Hope that was clearer!

Comment

It is clearer, but I can see nothing informative about your data.

Did you read the FAQ Advice #12 as suggested?

Note that, as documented, mvsumm requires tsset (or xtset) data; if for some bizarre reason your time variable has been removed or removed since that setting, it is unlikely to proceed.
            Last edited by Nick Cox; 21 Feb 2017, 12:53.

Comment

Working...
            X