No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IV Regressions Panel Data

Hi,

I am using Stata 14 to run regression analysis on my dataset, which is survey data from the World Bank.

I am trying to run an IV estimation for an endogenous bribe variable (x variable in my equation). However I am unable to find a suitable test for postestimation that works to see if a) instrument is valid b) to see if 'bribe' is in fact endogenous

Here is the original equation:

xtreg ln_invest bribe ib0.missing_year i.size i.year i.Industry i.Govt i.For i.fincons i.Court lnAge, fe vce(r)

IV regression:

xtivreg ln_invest lnAge i.size i.year i.Industry i.Govt i.For i.fincons i.Court lnAge ib0.missing_year (bribe = j2), fe vce(r)

I have tried the Hausman test (does not work with robust s.e.) and also tried xtoverid, both to no avail.

Please could you guide me in finding a suitable test to find out a) and b) above..many thanks in advance!

Kimara:
    in all likelihood your problem with -xtoverid- rests on the fact that it doesn't support factor variables; give it one more try with -xi- instead of -i.<categorical>-.
    Kind regards,
    Carlo
    (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

Hi Carlo,

Thanks for your response!

I have since tried running the regression using -xi- instead and followed it with the -xtoverid- command and got the following:

xtoverid

Test of overidentifying restrictions:
      Cross-section time-series model: xtivreg fe robust cluster(panelid)
      Sargan-Hansen statistic 0.000 (equation exactly identified)

Having used -help xtoverid- in my stata window it mentions that after running an IV regression, using -xtoverid- is a test of the null hypothesis that the excluded instruments are valid instruments. However, after seeing "equation exactly identified" I wonder if this is the right test to be using to get what I want?

Best,
      Kimara

Comment

Kimara:
        as far as I know, you cannot have overidentification if the equation is exactly identified.
        If you Google with the string -equation exactly identified AND Stata- you will find some promising entries (unfortunately, , at the moment I do not have the time to delve into them).
        Kind regards,
        Carlo
        (Stata 18.0 SE)

Comment

You might want to look at xtivreg2 which includes some diagnostics xtivreg does not.

Comment

Working...
          X