No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clogit with fixed effects

Dear statalist,

I am trying to replicate a model that has a vote choice as a dependent variable, and a set of regressors that measure various factors for each party for each individual (for example, distance between a party and an individual on the left-right scale), as well as fixed effects for parties (the model I am trying to replicate is in Bolsted and Dinas, 2016, Table A9 in Appendix, it is run for many elections/countries with parties' fixed effects). I tried emailing the authors but never got a response (it has been a month now). Anyway, I ran following script on my data:

clogit VOTE distance i.partynumber, group (idd), where partynumber is a different number for each party in all elections, and idd is a voter id variable.

So this is what an example of few rows of data (simplified) looks like:
    idd VOTE distance partynumber electionid number_within_election
    1 0 2 21 1 1
    1 1 0 22 1 2
    1 0 3 23 1 3
    2 0 4 21 1 1
    2 0 3 22 1 2
    2 1 1 23 1 3
    3 1 2 40 2 1
    3 0 3 44 2 2
    The last 2 variables in the table are not used in analyses, they are just shown here to show how the data is structured.

If I run this model on one election, it runs just fine. However, when I try to run it on more than one election it just never converges. My question is, is my model specification wrong, or is there something wrong with the way I structured the data?

I tried interacting party number within election with electionid, as well as creating a long dataset that has as many rows for each individuals as there are parties in all elections (128) - took 2 days to create it, but the model never converged either.

Thank you for your time,
    Masha

Please check the FAQ on asking questions - providing Stata code (using code delimiters), Stata output, and sample data (using dataex) will increase the chances you get a helpful answer.

I'm not sure what went wrong. I'd try running the model with regress and i.idd as a regressor, or xtreg with idd as the panel. Sometimes oddities will turn up in such estimators that inform you on other estimators.

I wonder if you don't need some voter or party characteristics in your model. If you're including idd as a panel, then the only explanatory variables are party number dummies.

Comment

Paul,

Thank you very much for your answer. I will look into FAQ and try running the commands you suggested, will see if that helps!

Thank you,
      Masha

Comment

Working...
      X