Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Specifying ROC cutpoints

I have run an ROC analysis and have been able to output the sensitivity, specificity, +LR, and -LR for every data point of my predictor variable. However, I want to be able to plug in certain sensitivities (ie 90%) and get the predictor variable level, specificity, +LR, and -LR for that given sensitivity. How do I do this?

Well, you face several obstacles here.

1. There may not actually be any point in your data that corresponds to exactly 90% sensitivity. What would you want to do in that situation?

2. If your sensitivity is stored as a fraction, i.e. 0.90, (as opposed to integer 90) then you also confront rounding error. There is no exact representation of 0.9 in a finite-binary computer. So conditioning on being exactly equal to 0.90 will almost always fail. (See -help precision-.)

So let's say your data set contains variables sensitivity, specificy, lr_pos, lr_neg, predictor. In light of these obstacles, probably the most sensible thing to do is to look for observations with sensitivities within a reasonably close range of your target. So you could do things like:

Code:
    list specificity lr* predictor if inrange(sensitivity, 0.88, 0.92) // OR SOME OTHER SUITABLE RANGE
    If your preference would be to just get a single estimate and you can't find a consistent narrow range to reduce the output to a single observation you might average:

Code:
    summ specificity lr* predictor if inrange(sensitivity, 0.88, 0.92) // OR SUITABLE RANGE
    The suitable range will depend on how closely spaced the sensitivity values in your data set are.

Comment

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response. I understand your point that my finite number of data points may not contain a sensitivity of exactly 90%, for example. I actually have been able to generate a table of every single datapoint, and have been able to find data points that are close to the my desired cutpoints. I thought there might be a way to fit a line (curve) to the ROC data points and get an estimate for specific cutpoints.

Comment

Well, in the case of an ROC curve, if you have enough data points that the observed cutpoints are very close together, linear interpolation (-help ipolate-) could be a reasonable way to go.

Comment

rocfit fits a smooth line through your data points and leaves behind the parametric regression coefficients that with a little algebra you could probably use to compute arbitrary points along the curve.

Comment

Working...
          X