• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marginsplot: x-axis gap between binary variable

Hi,
    after a regression I use the command

margins, at(group=(0 1))

to plot a marginsplot. But the x-axis gap between 0 and 1 is so big, it takes to complete graph. How can I change (lower) this gap?

Thanks
    -Nick

You can specify an xscale range in excess of your high end point (in your case >1). However, I struggle to see how useful this is...

Code:
    *IN THIS CASE, THE GAP WILL BE HALF THE ORIGINAL GAP
    marginsplot, xscale(range(0 2) noextend)

Comment

The gap is half but the graph is still that big. Any other possibility?

Comment

You might find the undocumented margins option saving. See help undocumented and help margins_saving. This option will create a Stata dataset with the output from margins that you can then graph with any number of Stata commands.

Comment

I think that you are confounding two issues here: 1) Adjusting the range of the x-axis so as to affect the width of the plot 2) Adjusting the dimensions of the graph as a whole. Your post #1 suggests the former but you appear to want the latter. Here are some ideas

i) You can specify either -xsize()- or -ysize()- option to adjust dimensions.
          ii) To have equal height and width, specify -aspectratio(1)- in conjunction with (i)
          iii) If unable to get the desired dimensions, export graph in eps or picture form and adjust dimensions externally.

Code:
          sysuse auto
          qui reg price mpg foreign
          qui margins, at(foreign=(0,1))
          marginsplot
          Click image for larger version

Name:	full.png
Views:	1
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	1372366

Reducing dimensions by changing -xsize()- and requiring that height=width by specifying -aspectratio(1)-

Code:
          marginsplot, xsize(2) aspectratio(1)

Name:	reduced.png
Views:	1
Size:	11.7 KB
ID:	1372367

Comment

Alternatively, you can play with the x labels by adding buffers at either end.

Code:
             marginsplot, xlab(-.25 " " 0 "Domestic" 1 "Foreign" 1.25 " ", notick)

Name:	Graph.png
Views:	2
Size:	6.9 KB
ID:	1372380

Comment

That worked perfect for me, thank you.

Comment

Working...
              X