No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about foreacc/forvalues

Hi everbody

I have 100 datasets called database1 database2 database3 ... , and I have to make a manytimes merge: database1 merge with database2 and save; database2 merge with database3 and save .....and the same for all datasets. In the end I must have 99 new databases. I canĀ“t programming foreach or forvalues correctly for the task

thanks

Something like this might work.

Code:
    forvalues i=1/99 {
    use "database`i'", clear //This line needs to be updated for your situation merge 1:1 varlist using "database`=i+1'" save "newdatabase`i'"
    }
    Unfortunately, I don't know what type of merge you want to do or what variables you want to merge on, so the merge command line definitely needs to be updated.

Comment

Thank you very much Roger, it is what I needed, the 100 databases is about monthly wage of people and I am trying to measure monthly wage changes

Comment

I think #2 is not quite right. I don't think it accomplishes Jimmy Esc's goal: he will end up with 99 databases, one of which is the combined contents of databases 1 and 2, the next combines databases 2 and 3, the next databases 3 and 4, etc. I understood him to want a single database combining all 100 databases. So the code would be something like:

Code:
        clear
        tempfile building
        save `building', emptyok
        use database_1, clear

forvalues i = 2/100 {
            merge 1:1 person_id using database_`i'
            // PERHAPS SOME CODE IN HERE TO RENAME VARIABLES OR MAKE
            // OTHER NEEDED ADJUSTMENTS, ETC.
            drop _merge
            save `"`building'"', replace
        }

use `building', clear
        // ANY FINAL DATA CLEANING HERE
        save my_combined_data_file, replace
        Obviously modify filenames and variable names as needed to match your data.

That said, it is not obvious to me that -merge-ing these data sets is the best way to go. If each data set contains a month's data and the goal is to study monthly wage changes, you would be best off working with a file that is in long layout, where each person has a separate observation for each month. -merge- will not get you there: it produces a wide layout. So to get a long layout you want to -append- rather than -merge- in the loop:

Code:
        clear
        tempfile building
        save `building', emptyok

forvalues i = 1/100 {
            use database_`i', clear
            // WHATEVER CODE NEEDED TO ADJUST VARIABLE NAMES
            // OR DO OTHER CLEANING/MODFICATIONS.
            append using `building'
            save `"`building'"', replace
        }

// FROM THIS POINT ON, THE CODE IS THE SAME AS SHOWN IN THE PREVIOUS CODE BLOCK

Comment

Working...
        X