Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Constraining coefficients in panel data regression

I have to constrain the beta coefficients such that their sum is 1. For example, Y = B1 X1 + B2 X2, such that B1 + B2 = 1. I understand that the cnsreg allows for this. However I have panel data and want to know if there is a command for it. Secondly, is there a way to constrain the coefficient using the XTMIXED command.

-Shekhar

In any Stata estimation command, after running that command you can run

Code:
    test _b[X1] + _b[X2] = 1, coef
    and you will get, first, a test of the hypothesis that B1 + B2 = 1 based on the unconstrained regression, and then a display of what the regression coefficients look like when the constraint is imposed.

By the way, if you are using Stata version 13 or later, the command is now called -mixed-, not -xtmixed-. If you are using any Stata older than current (14.2), you are asked to say so in your post so people don't offer advice that won't work with older software.

Comment

Thanks for the help Clyde. I am using Stata 14.2.

-Shekhar

Comment

I appreciate Shekhar's question, however. When I attempt to run -mixed- with the -constraint()- option, it returns an error. Is there a workaround for multilevel models in which model parameters are constrained to equality or zero?

Comment

Working...
        X