No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Combining shapefiles of two adjacent countries

Dear Statalisters,

I have shapefiles of two adjacent countries (Germany and Switzerland) which I would like to combine into one large shapefile. Is there an easy way to achieve this?

This is how I started to convert the two single shapefiles into Stata-files but I have no idea how to proceed from here. Any help is highly appreciated.

Code:
    clear
    cd C:\Users\wwa594\Documents\Stata\spmap

//Germany
    copy "http://biogeo.ucdavis.edu/data/gadm2.8/shp/DEU_adm_shp.zip" "DEU_adm_shp.zip", replace
    unzipfile "DEU_adm_shp.zip"
    shp2dta using DEU_adm0, database(gerdb) coordinates(gercoord) genid(id)
    use gerdb, clear
    spmap using gercoord, id(id)

//Switzerland
    copy "http://biogeo.ucdavis.edu/data/gadm2.8/shp/CHE_adm_shp.zip" "CHE_adm_shp.zip", replace
    unzipfile "CHE_adm_shp.zip"
    shp2dta using CHE_adm0, database(chfdb) coordinates(chfcoord) genid(id2)
    use chfdb, clear
    spmap using chfcoord, id(id2)

Let me make a hopelessly naive suggestion, because I have no experience with shapefiles, and only the faintest understanding.

Is it possible that the coordinates of the Swiss-German border are the precisely identical in both files? In that case, if something like the following pseudo code will identify every x-y coordinate pair that appears in both files and drop them from the combined file.
    Code:
    in gerdb, create source=1 and rename the x and y coordinates to x and y
    in chfdb, create source=2 and rename the x and y coordinates to x and y
    use gerdb
    append using chfdb
    bysort x y (source): drop if source[1]!=source[_N]
    I hope this might prove helpful if an authoritative answer from a knowledgeable user does not appear.

Comment

Thanks William Lisowski, this put me on the right track.

The code:
      Code:
      clear
      cd C:\Users\wwa594\Documents\Stata\spmap

//Germany
      copy "http://biogeo.ucdavis.edu/data/gadm2.8/shp/DEU_adm_shp.zip" "DEU_adm_shp.zip", replace
      unzipfile "DEU_adm_shp.zip", replace
      shp2dta using DEU_adm1, database(gerdb) coordinates(gercoord) genid(id) replace
      use gerdb, clear
      spmap using gercoord, id(id)

//Switzerland
      copy "http://biogeo.ucdavis.edu/data/gadm2.8/shp/CHE_adm_shp.zip" "CHE_adm_shp.zip", replace
      unzipfile "CHE_adm_shp.zip", replace
      shp2dta using CHE_adm1, database(chfdb) coordinates(chfcoord) genid(id) replace
      use chfdb, clear
      spmap using chfcoord, id(id)

//combine the two
      use gercoord, clear
      sum _ID
      local a = `r(max)'
      save gercoord, replace

use chfcoord, clear
      replace _ID = _ID+`a'
      save chfcoord2, replace

// Databases
      use gerdb, clear
      local a = _N
      use chfdb, clear
      replace id = id+`a'
      append using gerdb
      save alldb, replace

// Combine Coordinates
      use gercoord, clear
      append using chfcoord2
      sort _ID
      save allcoord, replace

use alldb, clear
      sort id
      spmap using allcoord, id(id)
      The result:

Click image for larger version

Name:	gersuiss.png
Views:	1
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	1369093

Comment

Ah, I see I misunderstood - my solution assumed the shapefiles only had external boundaries and your goal was a map of the combined perimeter of German and Switzerland with no border between the two. So now seeing your objective I realize the problem was the duplication of values of ID in the two files, and the solution was pre-processing the IDs before appending the pairs of files. And it's clear my solution suffered from having forgotten that "shape files" include two components, a database and a coordinates file.

Thank you for sharing your solution, and congratulations on your ability to discern the outlines of a solution in my naive suggestion.

Comment

Now I am facing a different problem. I wanted to add some points (cities) to the map and used Robert Picard's geo2xy to convert latitude and longitude into the (x, y) space used for the map. However, for Munich I get the following:
          city lat lon xcoord ycoord
          München 48.13512 11.58198 136.23608 -88.8455
          The point (136.236, -88.8455) is way off the map. In fact, for my "basemap" all y-coordinates are positive. Can someone give me a hint what went wrong here?
          Last edited by Roberto Liebscher; 30 Dec 2016, 11:50.

Comment

I solved this issue by inserting the WGS84 values by hand using this website. However, I would still be interested in understanding why geo2xy did not give me the correct results. Anyways, I wish you guys a good start into the new year.

Comment

Looking at help geo2xy we see that a number of projections are available, where each projection defines a different mapping of (lon,lat) to (x,y). And clicking on any of them brings us to an entry in the output of help geo2xy_proj that describes the projection. Within each projection, the section on "Spheroid and (x,y) coordinates units" describes how the projection is done.

Reading this briefly, you (and I) were expecting that (lon,lat)=(0,0) would project onto (x,y) (0,0). This is not the case for the web-mercator projection that is the default.

I'm in way over my head here, but it seems to me that one of the other projections, perhaps in combination with scaling, would give you what you need.

Comment

Roberto, you do not show code of how you tried to use geo2xy so it's hard to see what's wrong and the same goes for how you fixed the problem.

Since you appear to use spmap to generate your maps, here's an example of how to generate a map that shows the location of two cities, all using unprojected coordinates:

Code:
                * Example generated by -dataex-. To install: ssc install dataex
                clear
                input str8 city float(lat lon)
                "München" 48.13512 11.58198
                "Bern"     46.94792 7.444608
                end
                save "cities.dta", replace

use "alldb.dta", clear
                spmap using "allcoord.dta", id(id) ///
                    point(data("cities.dta") xcoord(lon) ycoord(lat) fcolor(blue))
                and the resulting map

Name:	map1.png
Size:	132.4 KB
ID:	1369148

Here's the same example, this time with all coordinates projected using geo2xy. By default, the projection is the same as the one used in Google Maps.

Code:
                * Example generated by -dataex-. To install: ssc install dataex
                clear
                input str8 city float(lat lon)
                "München" 48.13512 11.58198
                "Bern"     46.94792 7.444608
                end
                geo2xy lat lon , gen(ycoord xcoord)
                save "cities.dta", replace

use "allcoord.dta"
                geo2xy _Y _X, replace
                save "allcoord_xy.dta", replace

use "alldb.dta", clear
                spmap using "allcoord_xy.dta", id(id) ///
                    point(data("cities.dta") xcoord(xcoord) ycoord(ycoord) fcolor(red))

graph export map2.png, width(800)
                and the resulting map

Name:	map2.png
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	1369149

As far as I can tell, both cities are correctly located on the map in both cases.

Comment

Thanks Robert Picard. The problem was that I did not "project" the original coordinates in "allcoord.dta". I thought that these points were already "projected" and tried to add the values I obtained from geo2xy. Thanks for clearing this up, Robert.

Comment

Working...
                  X