No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scale break in forest plot after using metan

Hi all,

I hope that someone can help me? I'm using Stata 12 on a mac and I have performed a meta-analysis using the metan command on 18 studies. One of the studies has outlier data with a SMD of -3.9 (owing to very small sample size and big changes in the treatment arm). I want to include this data in the forest plot but when I graph it, the other 17 studies are very squashed and the graph looks very odd. Is there a way of creating a scale break to include the outlier without squashing the distribution of the other studies?

Many thanks and best regards,
    Michael

Hi Michael,
    Stata in general is not set up to allow scale breaks; see http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/graphics/scale-breaks.
    metan allows confidence limits to be outliers by displaying an arrow at the axis limit (using e.g. the force option); but if the effect size itself is an outlier, that's another matter.
    When I next have a few minutes to spare I might have a quick play around and see what might be possible, e.g. applying any of the tricks in the link above to forest plots.
    Regards,
    David.

Comment

Working...
    X