Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using mi estimate command to produce descriptive counts and tables in imputed dataset

Hi there

I am working with an imputed dataset (mlong) and I would like to produce a 'tab' of a variable called 'ccsubscale2_y2cm'.
    I can't find a command from the mi estimation commands that supports this.

In more detail:

The ccsubscale2_y2cm variable is an ordinal numeric variable which notes the number of chronic conditions that a person has: 0 , 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 (I've taken a screenshot).
    It is calculated passively as the sum of disease indicators (see code below). Some of these indicators - such as obesecc_y2cm (an indicator for obesity) have had missing values in m=0 (36% were missing). The missing values were imputed in Stata and are complete in the resulting 20 imputed datasets.

// Recreate ccsubscale_y2cm with obesity indicator
    mi passive: gen ccsubscale2_y2cm = asthmacc_2_y2cm + ///
    eczemacc_2_y2cm + ///
    birthcc_y2cm + ///
    epilepsycc_y2cm + ///
    hearingcc_y2cm + ///
    visioncc_y2cm + ///
    cci_total_y2cm + ///
    obesecc_y2cm
    mi xeq: lab var ccsubscale2_y2cm "chronic conditions subscale score at 2 yrs"

Now I would like to look at this variable in the imputed datasets.

I try to use the 'mi estimate' command:

// Attempt 1
    mi estimate: mean ccsubscale2_y2cm, over(ccsubscale2_y2cm, nolabel)

// Attempt 2
    mi estimate: mean ccsubscale2_y2cm if (ccsubscale2_y2cm == 1)

This didn't work.

What I actually want is something like:
    mi estimate: tab ccsubscale2_y2cm
    in order to get a count of the number of people having 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 chronic conditions across the imputed datasets.

A laborious solution that I have found is to do this (doing each value of ccsubscale2_y2cm separately):

// calculate prevalences of ccsubscale2_y2cm by creating 0/1 indicators for each value of ccsubscale2_y2cm
    mi passive: gen ccsubscale2_y2cm_0 = 0
    mi xeq: replace ccsubscale2_y2cm_0 = 1 if (ccsubscale2_y2cm == 0)
    mi xeq: replace ccsubscale2_y2cm_0 = . if (ccsubscale2_y2cm == . )
    mi estimate: mean ccsubscale2_y2cm_0 // prevalence 0.587, 58.7% have 0 chronic conditions
    mi estimate: total ccsubscale2_y2cm_0 // total 3368.95 have 0 chronic conditions

But I wonder if there is a better way?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Warmly

Jin

Attached Files
Working...
X