No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non-nested RE in xtmixed returning error

Hi,

I am using xtmixed to try to calculate non-nested RE for multiple levels and receiving the error “likelihood evaluates to missing” after >15 minutes of evaluation. The code I am using is as follows:

xtmixed depvar ||_all: R.sic ||_all: R.country ||_all: firm_id

There are approximately 15,000 rows in the data and about 11,000 unique firm_ids. I noticed that there was one other post on Statalist that didn’t seem to be answered about the same issue (by David Chan). For reference, I’m using Windows 7 Enterprise and Stata 13.1.

Thanks,
    Megan

You've apparently tried a three-way crossed-effects model.

Page 394 of the Manual entry for mixed, the updated name for xtmixed, has this to say about a two-way crossed model:

Although we were able to fit the crossed-effects model (8), it came at the expense of increasing the column dimension of our random-effects design from 2 in model (5) to 57 in model (8). Computation time and memory requirements grow (roughly) quadratically with the dimension of the random effects. As a result, fitting such crossed-effects models is feasible only when the total column dimension is small to moderate.
    It looks like you'll be unable to cross firm with anything else

You have about 15/11 = 1.36 observations per firm, so the data are highly imbalanced. I suggest that you group SIC codes into broader classes, possibly cross with country as fixed or random effect, then nest firms at the lowest level.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Steve Samuels; 19 Oct 2015, 19:47.
    Steve Samuels
    Statistical Consulting
    [email protected]

Stata 14.2

Comment

It's been a long time since I worked with SIC (Standard Industrial Classification) codes. If I recall, many US companies had only one SIC (four digit code) . If this is the case in your data, then a failure to cross firm with SIC is understandable apart from the dimension problem. would itself
      Last edited by Steve Samuels; 20 Oct 2015, 10:25.
      Steve Samuels
      Statistical Consulting
      [email protected]

Stata 14.2

Comment

Working...
      X