Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eric_a_booth View Post

Stata is saving the file with a .svg extension but it's not a true scalable vector graphic, it's raster(bitmap) which has implications for quality of the image when scaling. I realize that the need for true svg graphics is probably not widespread, but I get requests from clients that need to distribute materials containing our Stata graphics in svg format (and they often point out that R can do this, ugh). I'm not sure how difficult this would be to add/implement and I certainly don't think it would be a high priority on Stata's list of new features to add, but I thought I'd put it out there just in case.
    It is a true scalable vector graphic. You can open the .svg file in a text editor and view the drawing commands. You can also open the file in a vector graphics editor and edit the graph.
    -Chinh Nguyen

Comment

• I think this is somewhere else in the thread, but having the option for a single 'locked' window view in Mac (as the default in Windows). Switching between monitors with a Mac currently requires rearranging all the panes individually.
      __________________________________________________ __
      Assistant Professor, Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology
      School of Public Health and Health Sciences
      University of Massachusetts- Amherst

Comment

• Originally posted by Chinh Nguyen (StataCorp) View Post

It is a true scalable vector graphic. You can open the .svg file in a text editor and view the drawing commands. You can also open the file in a vector graphics editor and edit the graph.

I'm guessing this is an addition in Stata 14? (I checked the Stata 14 online entry for -graph export- here and it looks the same (with regards to svg) as the Stata 13 manual in that it doesnt mention svg as an option) I've got Stata 13 and here is the output I get when trying to do what Chinh and Stephen describe:

Code:
        . sysuse auto, clear

. scatter mpg price

. gr export test.svg,   replace
        output-file suffix "svg" not recognized
            specify correct suffix or specify as() option

. gr export test.svg, as(svg)   replace
        option as(svg) invalid
        Eric A. Booth | Senior Director of Research | Far Harbor | Austin TX

Comment

• It was a late, undocumented addition to Stata 14. It was added primarily to aid in creating graphs for Stata Press ebooks. Like html, svg rendering can vary on different browsers so it was a work in progress and some options were added/removed/renamed during its development.
          -Chinh Nguyen

Comment

• Add functionality to change the color of a subset (e.g.a single word) in a graph title in the same way we can change the typeface. Currently we can do something like:

Code:
            subtitle({bf:Hello} {it:World} {fontface gigi:Hello} {fontface Arial:World})
            But I'd like to be able to change a single word to a color (even if we could use the smcl tags like {error: test} to do so) to emphasize a finding or link it to the color of a bar in the graph, like:
            Eric A. Booth | Senior Director of Research | Far Harbor | Austin TX

Comment

• Dear Stata:

Another for the Stata 15 WIshlist: Linking this thread on a possible additional option to consider adding for heatmap in
              Code:
              twoway contour
              http://www.statalist.org/forums/foru...ontour-heatmap

Thank you for considering.

Comment

Working...
              X