No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• reg or xtreg?

Hello Stata-Users,

I have a Panel-data and i would like to estimate the impact of a treatment on firms. I use the DID estimator.

Here is my regression:

y time_dummy group_dummy interaction_time_group controls

In addition, i would like to add progressively several fixed effects. ( i.year ; i.location_of_the_firm ; i.industry_code )

Which command is the most appropriate in my case? -reg- or -xtreg- with fe option?

Thank you for your help,

Pierre

It is hard to comment, as what is 'appropriate' depends (much) more on your research question and theory than on anything else. Why do you want to control for fixed-effects progressively?

If implemented correctly, both the regress command with indicator variables (LSDV estimator) and xtreg with fe option (fixed-effcets model) will give the (same) within estimates. Since we are usually not interested in the unit-specific constants (or there are just to many of them), we apply the within-transformation by specifying the xtreg command with fe option.

Note that the concept of DID is equivalent to the fixed-effects (within) estimator with controls for time-period. If you have more than two periods you might wan to consider fitting a first differences model, depending on the theoretical assumptions about the effect of the treatment.

Best
    Daniel

Comment

Working...
    X