No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Margins and test

Hello everyone,

for my Master's thesis I would like to compare average marginal effects across samples. I am looking at the association of stunting in children and parental education, with my dependent variable being stunting (a dummy) and my independent variable being the number of years the most educated parent went to school. The effect should be compared for boys and girls. In addition, I report odds ratios for each regression separately without testing for differences (such a test would suffer from both conceptual and econometric problems) To this end, I use the following code:

xi: svy, subpop(male_D): logit stunting highest_education_years, or
    margins, dydx(*) post
    estimates store a1

xi: svy, subpop(female_D): logit stunting highest_education_years, or
    margins, dydx(*) post
    estimates store a2

suest a1 a2

test [a1_stunting]highest_education_years = [a2_stunting]highest_education_years

However, this does only work if I exclude the margins commands, i.e. if I compare odds ratios across samples. As I mentioned, I would prefer comparing Average Marginal Effects (see Mood 2010 for an explanation on why AME are preferable). With the margins commands, the code stops at the suest command because e(b) and e(V) cannot be retrieved. Essentially, I only need suest because I don't really know how Stata would label the equations without it (it's not simply "a1" and "a2" although I use estimates store). Does anyone know how to solve this? (Please note that I would like to avoid using interaction terms because I find them difficult to interpret in a non-linear setting. I am therefore looking specifically for a solution based on separate regressions)

Alternatively, I tried to to the testing by hand using z=[b1-b2]/sqrt[Var(b1)+Var(b2)] with b1 being the education coefficient from model a1 and b2 for model a2:

xi: svy, subpop(male_D): logit stunting highest_education_years, or
    margins, dydx(*) post
    mat A[1,1] = el(e(b),1,1)
    mat A[2,1] = sqrt(el(e(V),1,1))

xi: svy, subpop(female_D): logit stunting highest_education_years, or
    margins, dydx(*) post
    mat A[1,2] = el(e(b),1,1)
    mat A[2,2] = sqrt(el(e(V),1,1))

*test statistic
    mat z = J(1,1,.)
    mat z[1,1] = (A[1,1]-A[1,2])/sqrt(A[2,1]^2+A[2,2]^2)
    matrix list z
    display 2*(1-normal(abs(z[1,1]))) //This line should give me the p-value
    The code works but I assume here that "z" follows a standard normal distribution (However, the sample size is very large, so this might be a minor problem). In addition, I am not completely sure whether the formula for the test statistic is correct. You have probably noticed that I use the svy prefix and stata would usually calculate an adjusted Wald test in such a case. Does anyone know how the respective formula would have to look like?

Thank you very much in advance!

Kind regards,
    Christian

Christian, this is the Sandbox Forum. From the description:
    Use this forum to make test posts, practice with the formatting features of the forum software, etc.
    People who might answer your question are not likely to see it here and, if they do would not choose to answer here. Repost in the General forum. Be sure to use the CODE delimiters. when you give Stata code and results. Click the "A"(dvanced) button at the top right of the edit window and the # symbol to get them. See:http://www.statalist.org/forums/help...ntent_advanced
    Steve Samuels
    Statistical Consulting
    [email protected]

Stata 14.2

Comment

Working...
    X