Collapse
No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Postestimation with tobit: predicting censored variable

I am using tobit to get a simple censored prediction of income using data from the American Community Survey. The data contain some negative values corresponding to negative income such as business losses. I want a censored prediction of income so I use the postextimation command predict, ystar() in the following way:

tobit faminc i.age4 i.education i.adults3 black other i.year, ll(0)
    predict xb
    predict ystar, ystar(0,.)

I have two questions
    1) when I use the above specification including weights as provided by ACS ([aweight = perwt]) the distribution of censored predicted values is orders of magnitude above the actual distribution, with the same variance.
    2) when I use the above specification as written, predict, ystar(0,.) is supposed to give me y* = 0 if xb + u < 0, however the predicted values are E(y*|y>0), and so seems to be censored above zero, so I end up with no zero predicted values, although my sample contains about 2% zeros.

I have found the following related discussion in the archive but I'm still stuck:

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archi.../msg00524.html

I am using Stata version 12. thank you very much for your help!

Yulya

This is the Sandbox forum, where people can try out posting features like Latex. Questions about Stata and statistics should go in the General Forum.
    Steve Samuels
    Statistical Consulting
    [email protected]

Stata 14.2

Comment

Working...
    X