No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GEE count model including negative binomial and the selection of best model

Dear Statalist,

Hi, this is my first time Statalist forum. I am not familiar to GEE or not too much strong in statistics. I appreciate if you could consider my question.

I would like to ask about GEE for count models. I have repeated measure data. The purpose of analysis is to see whether there is difference in outcome (number of conditions) experienced between intervention (group=2) and control (group=1) groups. The sample size is n=103, with around equal numbers between groups. 'visit' is the number of measurement occasions (3 times). I consider 'ar1' as the suitable correlation structure (I comapred workng correlation and actual correlation). The outcome is the count of condition, but around 50-70% of respondent did not experience any condition and therefore there are many 0s at each occasion. Also, variance exceeds mean for 2-7 times at each occasion.

I checked the fit of count model using 'countfit' command (using cross-sectional analysis using baseline, not as repeated measure), and either zero-inflated negative binomial or negative binomial regression appeared to be most suitable.

Reading this earlier statalist forum http://www.stata.com/statalist/archi.../msg01187.html and other UCLA resource, I fitted below family and link combinations. I am not sure whether this makes sense, and also I am not sure whether the interpretation differs by the different combination?

xtgee outcome i.group i.visit i.group#i.visit, fam(nbinomial) link(nbinomial) i(ID) t(visit) corr(ar1) eform
    xtgee outcome i.group i.visit i.group#i.visit, fam(nbinomial) link(log) i(ID) t(visit) corr(ar1) eform
    xtgee outcome i.group i.visit i.group#i.visit, fam(poisson) link(log) i(ID) t(visit) corr(ar1) eform

The results were somewhat different:
    IRR SE z p CI_lower CI_upper
    First model: 2.group | .5280172 .1916958 -1.76 0.079 .2591915 1.075661
    Second model: 2.group | .3958621 .1946298 -1.88 0.059 .1510225 1.037639
    Tird model: 2.group | .3958621 .1667044 -2.20 0.028 .1734156 .9036489

I used a user written command 'qic' to see which model is best. While I do not think Poisson is suitable given overdispersion, the QIC value is the smallest for Poisson+log combination (QIC=271), indicating the better model fit. Other two specifications were similar (QIC = 280 for the First model and QIC=281 for the Second model).

Thank you so much for your time.

Best wishes,
    Ayako

Unfortunately, you picked the wrong forum. This is the one for practicing the formatting features for the "real" forums, the General Forum http://www.statalist.org/forums/foru...ussion/general and the Mata forum http://www.statalist.org/forums/forum/general-stata-discussion/mata

Repost in the general forum.
    Last edited by Steve Samuels; 18 Jun 2014, 18:58.
    Steve Samuels
    Statistical Consulting
    [email protected]

Stata 14.2

Comment

Thank you for letting me know. I reposted it to general forum.
      Best wisehs, Ayako

Comment

Working...
      X