No announcement yet.
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using count data regression model with non-count data

Dear Statalist Members,

I am trying to analyse which variables predict the the grade of nicotine dependence of smokers in a population based survey sample (n=1172) using the Fagerström Test of Nicotine Dependence (FTND) as dependent variable and multible variables(e.g. education, income, age when first cigarette was consumed, alcohol intake) as independed variables.
    The FTND consists of six questions and the asweres are summed up in in a score ranging from 0 to 10, allowing only integers. The distribution of the FTND-Score in the sample is as shown below.

As I´m searching for a regression model to analyse these data, I was wondering if one can use a regression model for count data like the negativ binomial regression.
    Due to the high account of zeros lineare regression does not seems appropriate.
    I used the -countfit- command by Long&Freese (Stata 13.1 SE) and it showed good results for the negativ binomial regression model.

My question is: Is it possible to use regression models for count data for non-count data if the distribution is count data like? I´m searching for an answere quite a while and found some examples of the analyses of index-variables with count data regression modells, but no clear statement that the condition of having "real" count data can by violated in some cases.

I hope this was clear. If anyone could help, it would be very much appreciated.
    Regards,
    Johannes

Click image for larger version

Name:	Graph.png
Views:	9
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1291426
    Attached Files
Working...
X